[b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 06:38:46 EST 2007

Yigal:

This is the sort of response that I complain about when others do it,
and so I request that you be more careful.

On 11/11/07, Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
> Of course I know about the "sea peoples" group called the "Danannoi". But
> that's hardly relevant to what Karl was claiming, that "Dan" was a common
> Semitic place name. As I wrote - I know of no other place called Dan.
>
> Yigal Levin

I no where said that it is a common place name, rather that it is not
a unique name. A unique name means that it occurs once and once only.
If it is found only twice, it is still a rare name, but no longer
unique.

Because I did not start with the presupposition that Dan had to be a
unique name, I was not surprised to read about other places. But
because that reading was just part of recreational reading (yes, I
like to read history books as recreation), I did not make special note
of where I read about it.

The specific references were not to the Dananoi, but to Dan which the
early Greeks called Danae (or something similar to that). This was a
bronze age reference.

Karl W. Randolph.