[b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Nov 10 21:49:16 EST 2007

On 10 Nov 2007 at 16:17, K Randolph wrote:

> Dave:
>
> On 11/10/07, dwashbur at nyx.net <dwashbur at nyx.net> wrote:
> > Karl,

> > Dave Washburn
> > As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"
>
> In the June discussion, we noted that Hebrew often uses the definite
> article where in English we use the indefinite. The example that I
> remember off the top of my head was that of "the" escapee from Sodom
> who went and reported to Abram that his nephew Lot was taken captive.
> While he was a particular one, he was not named or otherwise
> identified, so in English we would use an indefinite article.
>
> It is the same syntactical pattern in this story, so we expect to find
> a definite article in connection with "place", so literally, "In the
> place..."

I thought that was more or less what I said.  The only thing I expanded on was the possibility
that it's not a definite article, in order to deal with Jim's rejection of the Masoretic pointing.  I
totally agree that we have a definite article here.  Are we talking right past each other
again?  If we are, it's probably my fault...