[b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Nov 10 15:37:12 EST 2007

Dear Karl,

1. While there could have been other "Dan"s in the Semitic-speaking world, I
actually don't know of any. Could you please point me to a reference?

2. Abraham set out from Hebron, either going down into the Jordan Valley and
then north, around the Sea of Galilee and up the upper Jordan, or along the
hill-country and the Jezereel Valley, and then into the upper Jordan, in any
case passing near the Dan we know on his way towards Damascus. The Dan that
we know is situated right near this major route.

3. The text does not actually say that he stopped at Dan or interacted with
its inhabitants in any way. It just uses "Dan" as a geographical marker.
This would indicate that the writer assumed that this Dan would be well
known to his audience.

4. Laish's being isolated in the time of the Judges could well have had more
to do with its geopolitical situation, as a single Canaanite city within
mostly Israelite territory, than with its actual distance from the main
roads.

5. The book of Genesis does not "claim authorship" at all. In fact, neither
does the Pentaeuch as a whole, unless one understands passages near the end
of Deuteronomy about Moses writing "et hattorah hazzot" as referring to the
entire Pentateuch and not just to either Deuteronomy or a particular
passage. It is actually tradition, firts attested hundreds of years later,
that claims that Genesis was written by Moses. Now I have no problem if
someone who believes that Moses, as a prophet, wrote what he did under
divine influence, and used the name Dan because he knew that that was what
the place would be called in the future. Moses' final vision of the Land in
Duet. 34:1-3 does the same, naming not only Dan, but also lands of Naphtali,
Menasseh, Ephraim and Judah, none of which were called that until after
Moses' death. If one's approach is that of modern science, which, while not
denying the possiblity of prophecy, cannot use it as an answer to the
question of "where did the author get his information from?", must conclude
that this particular passage, in its present form, must have been written at
least after the time of the Judges. No "pious fraud" involved.

6. In short, the only reason that you have to suppose that this is a
different Dan than the well-known city is that you pre-suppose that the
story must have been written before Dan had become Dan. There is no evidence
to back up your claim.

Yigal Levin