[b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 17:45:13 EST 2007

Hi men,

Contrary to Speiser, I say the vowel pointing of bammaqom has little to
do with this business.  Moses writes, vayyiphga` bammaqom vayyalen sham
vayyiqqax me'abney hammaqom.  See how the writer tracks the place in
three successive clauses:  bammaqom...sham...hammaqom.   Clearly the
place is monumental in importance.  It is a *certain place*.

In fact, if the setting is not important and specific in the narrative,
why does the writer need to even mention that Jacob happened upon *a*
place or *the* place where he stayed the night?  For the writer to
mention the obvious here is to highlight the significant.

I think the rules of cooperation and relevance that exist between a
writer and his audience strongly indicate that it was a "certain place."

I don't imagine this has much to do with Jim's hypothesis one way or the
other, a hypothesis which I also do *not* think has "a place" in the
b-hebrew forum.

Shalom,
Bryan

--