[b-hebrew] PS: David "expelling" a soul in the New Testament?

Søren Holst sh at teol.ku.dk
Fri Nov 9 04:41:07 EST 2007

I should have stated clearly:

The note, although appended to a passage in 1 Sam, explicitly talks about this apocryphal episode taking place "in the New Testament", obviously intending a little typological parallelizing.

In my rough translation of my colleaue's transcription of the Old Danish, it goes:

"In the Old Testament, David expelled the Devil from Saul, but what he did in the New Testament was this: When a pious man was about to die, but for fear of the devil his soul was unwilling to leave the body (that is why the Virgin Mary asked her son not to have to see the devil at death), the angel of the aforementioned soul came and asked her [the soul, grammatically fem.] to depart voluntarily: no harm would come to her. And yet she refused. The angel then fetched David with his musical instrument, and he played for the dying man and he [writer's error? presumably she = the soul] gladly departed."

kol tuv