[b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Nov 8 18:47:35 EST 2007

Karl,

The word TOR, 'queue', of Esther 2:12,15 appears to be a variant of
TUR [with a Tet], 'series', as in Exodus 28:17-20. Also of $UR, and
$URAH, 'row', as in Job 24:11, which are by themselves related to YA
$AR, 'straight'. Also to $IR, 'song, a string of words'.
Writing XARWZ with a W misleads us into the belief that the word
contains four consonants whereas it contains only three. I prefer to
write it as XARUZ, since I see anyway no inherent distinction between
Shureq and Qibbuts.

Isaac Fried, Boston University