[b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Nov 7 17:39:45 EST 2007

Karl,
If you show to any Hebrew speaking high-school boy the first part of
Song of Songs 1:10
נָאווּ לְחָיַיִךְ בַּתֹּרִים
NA)WU LXAYAYIK BA-TORIM, pretending that it is modern poetry, he will
know right away what the poet has in mind. Without so much as a hint
of hesitation he will lay out the scene for you as such. The poet and
his beloved are standing in line [see Esther 2:12,15 for TOR, line,
chain, series], say in front of the Clear Flour bakery, on a chilly
autumn Sunday morning [the line is mostly outside since the bakery
can accommodate no more than three customers at one time]. Glancing
at her sideways he is struck by the irresistible sight of her lovely
cheeks glowing in the cold.
But why the plural? Why, Because there is more than one line, there
are TORIM, to stand at on Sunday morning, and at every line the
object of his desire is getting prettier and more appealing in the
blush of her ruddy countenance, and his heart goes out to her.

Isaac Fried, Boston University