[b-hebrew] Was Abraham Born in Mesopotamia?

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 14:11:16 EST 2007

Uzi:
You wrote:  “what is the prevailing opinion of modern secular scholarship
regarding  the identification of kasdim with kassites?”
The prevailing view of academic secular scholars,  although it is wrong, is
that “Kasdim” is not “Kasdim”, but rather is  “Chaldeans”.  The Chaldeans
were not  prominent until the 1st millennium BCE.  If we let people get away
with saying  that “Kasdim” is “Chaldeans”, then we have forfeited any
historicity of the  Patriarchal narratives.
The author of the Patriarchal narratives had never heard  of the Chaldeans,
who did not yet exist in his  day.
We should be brave enough to look at what the text  actually says.  There is
nothing  about “Chaldeans” in the Patriarchal narratives.  There is nothing
about Abraham’s  “am”/people/ancestors living in Mesopotamia prior to Abraham’
s birth in the  Patriarchal narratives.  There is  nothing about Abraham
speaking broken Hebrew, or miraculously learning Hebrew on  the fly, when he
leaves Harran and travels to southeastern Canaan.  Nothing like that is in the
text.
The Hebrews were indigenous to Canaan or greater  Canaan.  That’s what
academic  secular scholars have verified in the last 30 years or so, and that’s what’
s  been in the Patriarchal narratives all  along.
The text of the Patriarchal narratives is perfect, as  is.  But we must look
at what the  text actually says.  The  conventional misunderstandings of the
Patriarchal narratives are completely  non-historical.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois