[b-hebrew] Mowledeth

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Sat Nov 3 14:14:24 EDT 2007

[Pere Porta]
>> I'm not able to make a good answer to your reasoning below. By saying
>> that
>> from a gramatical point of view MWOLEDET (*)  means "female who causes to
>> bring forth" I wanted only to help, to cast some light hereon.
>>
>> In a neutral viewing, "MWOLEDET = female who causes to bring forth" can
>> refer either to past times (ancestors) or to future times (descendants).
>> But
>> my feeling is that in biblical writings which you are telling on (Joseph
>> and
>> his brothers, etc.) it clearly points out to the past. "Relatives,
>> kindred,
>> (family?), offspring" are, in my opinion, good words for MWOLEDET.
>>
>> Sorry for not being able to do more for you.
>>
>> (*) remark: MWO, not MOW

> 1) There is no such thing as "mow" or "mwo" in Biblical Hebrew.  The use
> of
> a waw with the vowel [o:] represents [o:], not a combination.  Writing
> out [o(:)w]
> means that the vocalization would have a holam on the preceding consonant
> followed by a waw with a schewa underneath.  Writing out [wo:] would mean
> the
> waw would have a holam and the preceding consonant would have a schewa!

Yitzak,
are you sure of what you say? No "mwo" in biblical Hebrew? Look at 1Sa 20:36
or Gen 12:6 (MWOREH), at Pro 28:13 (WMWODEH), both coming from roots
peh"yod. Similarly Rt 2:1Q: MWODA(, of YD(, to know (= peh"yod)
I am obeying the transcription Guidelines everyone can read in the website
of b-hebrew.

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)