[b-hebrew] Prefix or root consonant?

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Sat Nov 3 08:30:20 EDT 2007

> Pere,
>
> Yes, N is part of the root, but not the N that you see in the word. The
> root
> letter is assimilated by the G in this case, represented only by the
> dagesh.
> The N that is seen is the marker for the first-person plural, here maybe a
> cohortative ("Let us surely tell...."). The "tense" is imperfect and the
> binyan hif'il (הפעיל).
>
> However, it is not like WN$YM, if the root of this word is $MM. The root
> of
> NfG.iYD is NGD.

_______

Yes, I agree.
Sometimes it is not easy to discern whether a given letter is a root letter
or not. For instance in YO$:B"Y (Jos 15:63) the first Y is clearly the Y or
the stem Y$B.
But in YWODIY(A (Isa 38:19) there is the doubt: the first Y is that of the
root YD)? And the right answer seems to be "No", but YWO, as a whole, plays
a part of a prefix, makes a prefix...

Pere