[b-hebrew] Prefix or root consonant?

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Sat Nov 3 04:17:38 EDT 2007

I am considering the word NFG.IYD (Jer 36:16) and I'm trying to discern
whether the nun is the first root consonant (stem NGD) or it is a prefix
that means 1st person plural (and then has nothing to do with the nun first
root consonant).

I rather think it is a prefix and has nothing to do with the N of the stem
NGD.
My thought is so because I remark that in the word WN$YM (Nm 21:30), which
is a parallel to NFG.IYD both as regards pattern and verbal features, the N
clearly is prefix, not root consonant (it comes from $MM).

This is not a trivial question: depending on which the right answer is, this
word will be placed here or there in the Hebrew Schemary I'm working to
build up (www.oham.net)

What do you think?

Thanks!

Pere Porta