[b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

Martin Shields enkidu at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 2 21:02:07 EDT 2007

Bryant,

Karl is reading the "double negative" in pretty much the same way as I
am, but translates העלם differently (yet still following a number
of others). I think there are good grounds for understanding העלם
as something like "eternity" since "from beginning to end" sounds a
lot like a temporal reference, and עלם is often temporal (in
whatever way "eternity" is temporal, we need to be careful not to read
modern notions of eternity into the text), and that עולם in 3:14
has the meaning "eternity."

I'm not sure what Karl's "hidden things" are without which we cannot
find what God is doing from beginning to end. He may be able to
elucidate further.

Further, double negatives are more complex in English than you
suggest. "No, that will never happen" is an example of an emphatic
double negative with negative meaning. I think there is a similar
range of possibilities in both Greek and BH.

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.