[b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Thu Nov 1 21:56:33 EDT 2007

Hi Martin,

I like your analysis.

As you noted a key word is, mib.:liy.

It's an idiom that I think the BDB does better defining than the HALOT.

See BDB p. 115, highly edited here:

"2. adv. of negation ...With preps. c. MI (a) from want of; for lack of;
on account of there being no..."

Ironically, the BDB does not list Ecc 3:11 under sense 2c(a), but under
2c(b) with pleonatic lo', as you have mentioned.  In this latter
interpretation mibliy means "so that no...", also, as you have mentioned.

Like you, I think the mibliy belongs in section 2c(a) rather than 2c(b),
and may be thought to mean "because without..." as it often does.  See
Isa 5:13 mibliy da`at "because [they are] without knowledge."

We may say the notion or deep structure of Ecc 3:11 is mibliy tet
'elohiym ha`olam bilbam, where tet... surfaces as 'a$er.

Thank you for sharing your analysis.

Shalom,
Bryan