[b-hebrew] Trouble getting decent-looking Hebrew in Mac OS X

Kirk Lowery klowery at whi.wts.edu
Thu Nov 1 12:29:33 EDT 2007

Jonathan Bartlett wrote, On 11/01/07 11:58:

> I'm trying to type some decent-looking Unicode Hebrew on Mac OS X,
> but I'm running into some problems.  The default font is ugly,
> especially when more than one pointing needs to be added to a letter.
> I've tried fonts like Ezra SIL, but all of the pointings on that font
> show up left-aligned on the letter.  I don't know if that's a font
> problem, a user problem, or an Mac OS X problem.

My laptop is a G4 PowerBook. My experience has been that the Mellel
wordprocessor plus SBLHebrew is the best solution for those of us doing
biblical studies on that platform. None of the other text editors or
word processors can compete with it. And the price is very reasonable.

In general the OS X system does not handle cantillated Hebrew very well
or at all.

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD, Director
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research