[b-hebrew] let me present myself

belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Nov 1 07:25:14 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am a newcomer to your forum, in fact, to any forum on the Net. It
was probably a mistake on my part to start my participation with an
installement on the very interesting for me (before intevening, I read
everything you have written on this subject at the Forum), but also
very controversial topic of "Academic debate", -- the installement
followed by a gentle rebuke of one of the moderators.

As Yitzhak Sapir has written recently in "Academic debate",

> I think, especially in light of the ensuing discussion, that perhaps
>  we should be aware of different theological backgrounds.

In my case, it is even more complicated: I am coming from different
scientific backgrounds, being probably the only one "hard" scientist
on this forum: educated as mathematician and working in theoretical
Mathematics, Theoretical Computer Science, Physics, and Molecular
Biology.

Thus, it is probably reasonable to state my main interest in joining
your group. (It does not mean that it is the only interest, since I
have already made previously a few incursions into the study of the
Hebrew Bible and the exegesis based on linguistic sciences.)

I am proposing this year a doctoral dissertation at my University, the
first linguistic topic ever proposed (and accepted) at our very
mathematical Institute:

Emergence and Evolution of Natural Languages:
Mathematical and Computational Perspectives.

In my vision of things, Semitic languages and especially Biblical
Hebrew will play the central role in this study.

If somebody of you would be interested, she or he could address me
either through forum or directly.

I sincerely hope that this modest personal announcement does not infringe on
the rules of your communications and good behaviour at this forum.

Best ragards,

Edward G. Belaga
Institut de Recherche en Mathématique Avancée
Universite Louis Pasteur
7, rue René Descartes, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex, FRANCE
tel.: 333 90 24 02 35, FAX: 333 90 24 03 28
e-mail : edward.belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr