[b-hebrew] Gen 1 & Gen 2

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 06:15:15 EDT 2007

Martin:

I almost didn't answer your last message because it appears to me that
you are playing word games, i.e. you are not serious. If I get the
same sort of response, I won't answer it. The only that appears to
merit response is the following paragraph:

On 10/31/07, Martin Shields <enkidu at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I'm not claiming that תולדות cannot refer to anything except
> "generations." I'm arguing against your claim that it has a very
> specific alternate meaning. As I said, your reading may seem obvious
> to you, but there's no evidence to support its viability nor the claim
> that it would be obvious to "the ancients."
>
> Martin Shields,
> Sydney, Australia.

And what evidence do you have that the general idea of bringing forth
cannot include the idea of bringing forth of a message or narrative?
And what's to preclude a mention of the general action of bringing
forth mentioned in context with a written message being readily
understood?

I suspect there's more to your objection than linguistic, which is why
some of your responses didn't make sense to me or worthy of a
response.

Karl W. Randolph.