[b-hebrew] Joshua 2:1 and 17, Questions

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu May 31 21:50:38 EDT 2007

Jason,

I admit that  HAZEH is irregular and we would have expected HAZO
instead. So what? It is contextually crystal clear what it is all
about. I merely used this opportunity, as I routinely do, to express
my adamant opinion that reference to a "binyan" is often devoid of
sense. To say that HILBI$ is is 'hiphil' is like saying that a circle
is round. The structure of HILBI$ is the root LB$ augmented by the
two personal pronouns HI, HI, one for the initiator of the act LB$
and the other for the its beneficiary. This makes sense. How obvious
everything becomes when you see  HI$BA(TANU as being the composition
(can it be otherwise?) HI-$BA(-AT-ANU.

Isaac Fried, Boston University