[b-hebrew] Joshua 2:1 and 17, Questions

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu May 31 02:24:40 EDT 2007

Dear Jason,

I'll leave the grammar for someone else to deal with, but as for
understanding "zonah" as "innkeeper", this follows the well-known comment by
Rashi, that Rahab sold "mazon" - "food". I've never bothered to look it up,
but I assume that Rashi was following a midrashic source, in which Rahab's
occupation is "cleaned up"; since she recognized God and helped the
Israelites, she MUST have been a woman of virtue! Just so you know, this is
the "clean" version that many Jewish children are taught - it is interesting
that is has "spilled over" into Christian interpretation as well.

The midrash also claims that Rahab ended up marrying Joshua. According to
the Christian version in Mattew 1:4, Rahab is the wife of Salmon, mother of
Boaz who married Ruth and was the great-grandfather of David. Both versions,
of course, are intended to convey various messages.

Yigal Levin