[b-hebrew] Exod. 19:1 (update subject line)

Daniel Purisch daniel.purisch at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:26:13 EDT 2007

Right. The "third new moon translation" is probably an attempt to set
the arrival date on the first day of the third month of the year so
that it would be possible for the giving of the Torah later in the
chapter to by synchronous with Shavuot, which is, of course, the
Jewish tradition. What is strange to me is that this translation
doesn't accomplish what they are trying to do: the third new moon
after the Exodus is the first day of the fourth month of the year -
not the third month - so I can't see why anyone would prefer to
translate chodesh as new moon, which is really only a viable
translation in I Sam 20:5 (tomorrow is the new moon)...

The way that the Gemara (Babylonian Talmud, Shabbat 86b) and Rashi
set the date on the first of the third month of the year is by
reinterpreting "bayom hazeh," and not by reinterpreting "chodesh." We
have been taking it to mean "on the same day of the month that they
left Egypt"; the Jewish sources take it to mean "on the very day that
the third-month-after-the-Exodus began." Since the third month after
the Exodus is the third month of the year, the date that this month
began is the first day of the third month of the year; there would
therefore still be time within the seven week countdown of the Omer
for a few days of Moses' ascending and descending the mountain and
the people's 3-day preparation before the giving of the Torah later
in this chapter.

I have been struggling to figure out which reading of "bayom hazeh"
is correct - perhaps someone knows of a similar passage that might
elucidate the idiom?

Daniel Purisch