[b-hebrew] Exod. 19:1 (update subject line)

Gary A. Staszak sowersoftheseed at verizon.net
Mon May 28 13:09:34 EDT 2007

Thanks for your response and also for your clarification of the
additional meaning of בַּחֹדֶש BXD$.

Your explanation seems straightforward, but I'd like to offer a
reflection to be sure I accurately grasp it.

Grammatically, the entire first clause would be subordinate to the
latter one, and it would serve as the temporal reference for
בַּיּוֹם הַזֶּה. Hypothetically and exegetically then,
if the Israelites left Egypt on the 22nd of x month, then the text
states they came (entered) the wilderness of Sinai on the same day
three months later, no matter what the month on the Hebrew calendar
may have been. In other words, the text is directly describing the
time duration (three months) it took for the Israelites to travel
from Egypt to Sinai.

Is this an accurate grasp?

Thanks again.

Regards,