[b-hebrew] (no subject)

Gary A. Staszak sowersoftheseed at verizon.net
Mon May 28 10:28:24 EDT 2007

Greetings,

This is my first post to b-hebrew. I have just finished my first year
of Biblical Hebrew and have a grammatical question on Exod. 19:1 (my
feet are barely wet). The text reads in English (according to the RSV/
Owens Analytical):

On the third new moon after the children of Israel had gone forth
from the land of Egypt, on that day they came into the wilderness of
Sinai.

My question is how ought one to hold the second clause temporally in
relation to the rest of the passage? Stated another way, what is the
reference point for "that day" (the day of the new moon, the same day
the Israelites came out of Egypt, or what)?

I understand there are various theological interpretations, but my
concern is more grammatical in nature.

Thanks.

Gary A. Staszak
Manassas, VA