[b-hebrew] Meaning of NBL, was Re: Ps 51:6

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat May 26 23:08:36 EDT 2007

Karl,

The NEBEL mentioned in Isaiah 30:14 is a large clay cask. The NIBLEI
$AMAIYM of Iob 38:37 is 'the loftiness of the heavens.' The NEBEL
ASOR of Psalms 33:2 is a harp of ten strings. Amos 6:5 has HA-PORTIYM
AL PIY NEBEL, and I tend to think that PORTIYM means 'strum.' It is
hard for me to imagine ancient Hebrews having a musical instrument as
intricate as a bagpipe.

Isaac Fried, Boston University