[b-hebrew] Meaning of NBL, was Re: Ps 51:6

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat May 26 20:08:46 EDT 2007

NBL, the musical instrument was apparently a type of bagpipe, a rather noisy
instrument. Apparently Nabal had a real set of lungs and lusty voice as an
infant, hence given that name.

The word was also used to refer to a fool as a "windbag", i.e. one who is
all air and nothing behind it. Abigail was using the second meaning as a pun
to assuage David's anger.

As a verb, it means to become flabby, as an empty bag, used of plants when
they lose turgidity they shrivel and droop.

Karl W. Randolph.