[b-hebrew] Learning Ugaritic

Reinhard G. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Tue May 22 15:25:24 EDT 2007

Amir,

learning Ugaritic is really helpful if you have a generative knowledge
of Hebrew, i.e. if you are aware of its pre-masoretic morphology.
Without that, learning Ugaritic can be really frustrating because you
always are itching for vowels, which are not there.

Using Ugaritic for hebrew studies is useful but deserves caution,
because there is no direct link between them. Phoenician, though one of
the worst known semitic languages at all, is more close and more
important to Biblical, or Ancient Hebrew.

In my Ugaritic class at Mainz University, we use:
1. Josef Tropper, Ugaritisch. KurzgefassteGrammatik mit ?bungstexten und
Glossar, Münster 2002 (ELO 1)
2. Josef Tropper, Ugaritische Grammatik, Münster 2000 (AOAT 273)

The short Tropper book is very useful because it is an extract from
Tropper's main 2000 reference grammar of about thousand pages, which is
a research grammar appropriate for advanced courses and for research. If
ever there are any questions left open in the short textbook, it is easy
to skip into the big one because almost the paragraphing is the same or
at least similar.

Although Tropper's big grammar is not easy to use, it can be said that
is the most up to date Ugaritic grammar you can get, and for most
difficult passages you find an explanation or translation in it. The
registers are exhausting!

A terrible big 'review' of the big Tropper grammar by Pardee you can
download from
http://www.univie.ac.at/orientalistik/Afo.html#pardee

For reference, also do not miss mark Smith's wonderful bibliography:
https://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/DEPT/RA/bibs/BH-Ugaritic.html

Having the two Troppers, Pardee, and Smith together, you will miss
nothing that is really important.

Reinhard G. Lehmann

Josef Tropper,