[b-hebrew] Dan 9:27b and shomem

Anthony Buzzard anthonybuzzard at mindspring.com
Tue May 22 15:15:16 EDT 2007

Could anyone comment on the verb "shomem" in Dan. 9:27? Strictly the
base form of the verb, shamem, is stative and we would expect to
transate "the desolated one" (passive) rather than desolator. But in
12:11 we seem to have shomem in an active sense and also in 8:13. Can
anyone decide what is the best rendering of shomem in Dan 9:27b?
desolator, or the desolate (KVJ, ie desolated one).
At any event, shomem would have to refer to a person and not the
city, which is feminine?
Anthony Buzzard
Atlanta Bible College

Anthony Buzzard