[b-hebrew] Learning Ugaritic

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon May 21 23:49:40 EDT 2007

To be brutally honest, unless you just enjoy learning obscure languages, Ugaritic probably
isn't going to help you with Hebrew that much.  I learned it in seminary, in fact took an extra
independent study course in it after the basics just because I'm crazy :-) but in the 25 years
since I finished seminary, I have used my Ugaritic tools for my Hebrew research maybe 10
times, and all those times it really didn't help me any.  I used Gordon's book set, but I
wouldn't recommend it mainly because of his proprietary way of numbering the texts.
Segert wasn't out at the time so resources were limited (1982-83), and I did enjoy playing
with the language and figuring out what it said.  But again, I've never claimed to be
completely sane...