[b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri May 18 12:20:23 EDT 2007

On 18/05/2007 19:41, kenneth greifer wrote:
> Yigal,
>
> I believe that King David was human and sinned like other people. I am
> not trying to prove that he was sinless. I just think that in this
> case he did not sin.

In answer to you, Kenneth, and to the Talmud, we have to read David's
own words, in Psalm 51, the very psalm in our subject line, in which he
clearly says several times that he did sin in this matter. Of course
this identification is based on the psalm title, which specifies David
as the author and that he committed adultery. But it is backed up by 2
Samuel 12:13 in which David confesses his sin. So the only way to deny
that David sinned in this matter is to deny the authority of the very
text which tells us the story. I wonder how the Talmud gets round this
one and tries to claim that David was sinless.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/