[b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 00:34:53 EDT 2007

Bryant,

I think King David did not commit adultery because Bathsheba was not legally
married to Uriah the Hittite because they were not allowed to marry
Hittittes according to the commandment in Deuteronomy 7:3. They were
actually supposed to kill them. I think King David sinned because he killed
the Hittite for the wrong reason, he wanted his "wife" instead of killing
him for being a Hittite. Maybe that is why Psalm 51:6 says it was a sin in
G-d's eyes.

Also, people say that King David wanted to have Uriah go home in 2 Samuel
11:8 to be with his wife to cover up her pregnancy by David. I think he
wanted Uriah to become drunk and to go home to get him away from the other
soldiers, so he could have him killed. I can't prove that, but it is a
possibility.

Kenneth Greifer