[b-hebrew] Question about Pi'el Imperfect

Jason Hare jaihare at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:02:45 EDT 2007

John,

Of course, this is NOT the case with Israeli (or Sephardic) Hebrew.
The qamats is pronounced 'a' (like father) when long and 'o' (like
hole) when short. We do not generally talk about the Tiberian system
when we discuss the sounds represented by these letters in terms of
how they should be pronounced NOW in order to be understood properly
(that is, by people who use standard Hebrew pronunciation as it is at
this time in history).

I agree with what Pere Porta has written above regarding the short
qamats and its equivalence to the cholem ('o') in this situation. The
word is Yi$MoR [yishmor], even if the cholem has been replaced by a
qamats qatan in a situation as described by Pere.

Yours,
Jason Hare
Joplin, MO -> Ra'anana, Israel