[b-hebrew] Question about Pi'el Imperfect of RBD

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed May 16 21:05:58 EDT 2007

John,

I know that you are not listening to me, yet I will repeat what I
said before for the possible benefit of others. You could have saved
yourself some confusion, and have gained a good insight into the
Pie'l structure. In my opinion.

1. Every inserted vowel (excepting A and Schwa) in the Hebrew
language represents a personal pronoun. The Pi'el form contains two
personal pronouns, one for the actor, and one for the beneficiary of
the act. Thus, $IBER = $-I-B-E-R, means 'he [I] broke it [E]'. Some
grammarians claim that the Pi'el form represents an "intensified"
action form, namely, $IBER is 'he broke it to smithereens'. I don't
believe this.

2. to indicate an intended act Hebrew frontally adds a fraction of
the separate personal pronoun of the actor. For the full ANI it
merely adds A. So A$ABER = A-$AB-E-R =  ANI-$AB-E-R, is " I will
break it". Now that an external personal pronoun is added, one
internal personal pronoun is dropped. Hebrew is keen on minimizing
the number of vowels in its words.

3. Hebrew possesses also an archaic or poetical form in which the
other internal vowel (personal pronoun) migrated to the end to form A-
$ABR-AH. I do not see anything "cohortative" in it. It is, in my
opinion, just a quaint ancient symmetrical form for 'I broke it'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University