[b-hebrew] Taw added to Verbs

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Fri May 11 17:08:13 EDT 2007

Actually all the "theorizing" has been helpful. After my initial
question, which was due to me forgetting about the feminine third person
form, I then proceeded to ask the purpose for the seemingly redundancy.
I mean we know that "the woman" is speaking - so I was wondering why the
need to add "she". Why not just have H)#H )MR "The woman said ....", but
instead the text has "And she said, the woman, .....".
To me it looked a little redundant. So the responses I have gotten have
been helpful.

Now I wish to expand the question one step further:
If you were translating the word WAT.O)MER by itself, how would one go
about translating it?
I currently assume there isn't a way to do so.

The reason I ask is in a verse like Gen 3:17 you have L")MOR LO) TO)KAL
Now it is usually translated as "saying, you shall not eat", but
couldn't also be translated "saying, she shall not eat".

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you
behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.