[b-hebrew] Masoretes' Error in MT Psalm 8:5?

Philip philipengmann at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 03:28:54 EDT 2007

Dear Hebraists,

  There is something that I find a little curious in MT Psalm 8.

  MT Psalm 8:5 and Psalm 8:6 seems to form some sort of rhythm, or is similar sounding.

  There are four verbs involved here: tizkerenu, tiphqedenu (verse 5), and
                                                   tehasrehu and teaterehu (verse 6).

  These four verbs seem to be similar in sound and in form with the exception that tiphqedenu (verse 5) is the only one of these verbs that is not an emphatic piel verb.

  Is it possible that this could have been an error?

  Could it be that tiphqedenu (verse 5) should have been a piel verb as well to match the other three verbs?

  I am using BHS based on L.

  (I am sorry I haven't checked the Aleppo Codex yet).

  What do you think?

  Best regards,

  Philip Engmann.