[b-hebrew] HLK and YLK

Jason Hare jaihare at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:22:41 EDT 2007

John,

Roots become sticky when we are dealing with weak radicals. Some forms of
the verb HLK make it seem like the root should be YLK, such as the hiphil
perfect: HWLYK /holich/ הוליך, which forms just like HWCY) /hotsi/ הוציא,
which has an initial yod. For the most part, remember HLK as the root of
this word, but remember that it can have forms that look like a peh-yod
verb. They are not separate roots. It is like the difference between YLD and
WLD. Obviously, the root is WLD, but most of the forms will be found with a
yod instead of a vav. We just have to remember that they are interchangeable
when we are dealing with root issues as they pertain to the forms found in
the language.

Jason