[b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 2:8

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue May 8 11:51:27 EDT 2007

Ron,

The Hebrew word SHAD, or DAD, 'breast' is a variant of YAD, 'hand',
SAD, 'stocks', CAD, 'side', all meaning 'being extended, being
accumulated, bulging'. Also related to it in this sense are the words
SHET, 'buttocks', SH'TYI 'yarn warp', YATED, 'peg', SHOT, 'whip,
branch', ESHED, 'water fall?', SADYIN, 'sheet', DOD, 'lover, adult,
grownup', ADAD-AZAZ-ASAS-ASHASH, 'encouraged', Y'SOD, 'foundation',
ZADON, 'malice', SHITAH, 'a shooty tree, Acacia?' and TISAH,
'flight', as they come to my mind. So, the SHIDAH of Ecclesiastes 2:8
can mean, in my opinion, anything that is fully formed: a woman, a
chest, etc.. It is certainly nothing vulgar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University