[b-hebrew] Geminate roots in vav-consecutive

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Mon May 7 21:27:15 EDT 2007

Hi James,

Jerry has given you a list of verses with geminate roots in the Piel
stem.  At least I think they are Piel.  I didn't check them all.  I am
sure none of them is Qal stem.

You will also find both twins appearing in the Hitpael stem like the
fairly common word for praying, as in Gen 20:17 vayyitpallel, using the
root PLL.  See also 1Ki 17:21 vayyitmoded, which is technically Hitpolel
stem, I guess.

I couldn't find any in the Pual stem even though I guess that there are
some.    ;-)

Like I said, the only wayyiqtol of a geminate root in Qal stem that has
both twin letters appearing requires nun for a first root letter.  The
only example I found is Gen 31:40, vattiddad, wherein the root is NDD.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine