[b-hebrew] etymological fallacy and the meaning of almah

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 30 22:46:16 EDT 2007

Dear Kenneth,
> Recently, someone on b-hebrew said that almah meant virgin because its root
> comes from a verb that means to be hidden , and virgins were hidden. What
> about the word olam ? Does it also come from "hidden"?

They are three different roots that have the same consonants. The
derivation of the root related to "olam" is unclear. So it conceivably
could be related to the root meaning to hide. The word rendered "almah"
is related to a root pertaining to youth. It is a separate root, as far
as we know, from the root meaning to hide. Actually, HALOT says that
somebody thinks the root referring to youth is related to the root
producing "olam." The common denominator, in his thinking, was the idea
of “unknowing, uninitiated." The article was found at: Gerleman ZAW 91
(1979):338–49. So by that connection, there could be a link among all
three theoretically. But they are treated as three distinct roots by the
lexicons.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard