[b-hebrew] The root (LM

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Jul 28 22:09:29 EDT 2007

B-Listim

 From the animated discussion here it looks as though the root (LM is
one of the touchiest of the Hebrew bible. Yet there is nothing beyond
the ordinary about it. Like any other Hebrew root it is part of an
ever expanding family of slowly mutating roots of slightly adjusted
meanings and shades of sense.
The root (LM is a variant of the roots:
1. (LP, 'cover, hide, envelop', as in Genesis 38:14, VA-TKAS BA-CA(IP
VA-TI-T-(ALAP, "and she covered herself with a vail, and hid herself
under it". I think that (ULPEH of Ezekiel 31:15 is 'towered over'.
'and all the trees of the field fainted for him' of KJV appears to me
patently nonsense, and 'the land drooped on his account' of NAB is
not much better. I see (LP of Isaiah 51:20, Amos 8:13, and Jonah 4:8,
as 'overcome, overpower, befog'.
2. (LT, 'cover, hide, conceal, blanket', from which (ALATAH,
'darkness', is formed. Another word for (ALATAH is )APELAH from the
root )PL, related to the roots (PL and NPL. From (PL Hebrew generates
the word (OPEL, 'tower'.
3. (LL, 'mount, ascend, linger', from which (ALILAH', 'long story,
mounting and thickening plot', is formed.
The equivalence of (LM = AL-AM, (LT = AL-AT, (LP = AL-AT and (LL = AL-
AL, proves the equivalence of of the Hebrew existence markers, or
fundamental concepts, AL-LA, AM-MA, AP-PA and AT-TA.

Isaac Fried, Boston University