[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HNH H()LMY

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 21:59:18 EDT 2007

> From: Tory Thorpe
> >
> > HH:
> > 16:11. In the Qumran Isaiah A text the letters are
> > WQR) or "one shall call."
>
> It should be noted that QR) in 1QIsa is probably to be pointed as the
> Qal imperative, "[Ahaz] call" (cf. Isa. viii 3). This agrees with the
> emphatic pronoun "you" in v. 16.
>
> Tory Thorpe

[Steve Miller] Wouldn't that be quite awkward?
Behold, the almah is pregnant and bearing a son, and call his name Immanuel.

If the previous verbs were imperative, then I would expect WQR) also to be
imperative as in Jonah 1:2 & 3:2.

With the previous verbs not being imperative, I could not buy that WQR)
should be imperative, unless you can find an example of a series of
non-imperative verbs followed by vav-<imperative> verb in the Tanach.

It is much more straightforward: "and they shall call his name ...", which
is a common phrase in the Tanach, as in Isa 9:5 (9:6 English).
-Steve Miller
Detroit