[b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Jul 26 08:33:18 EDT 2007

John,

What you are asking goes into the hart of the nature of the Hebrew
language.
Every word in the Hebrew language issues, by the addition of personal
pronouns, from a recognized root, which is of a concrete meaning. The
Hebrew root is a describer of a fixed material state. The words
generated from these roots are of an extended, borrowed, implied or
metaphoric nature and therefore there need not be any "horizontal"
relationship whatsoever between different words derived from one
root. This is rule number one of Hebrew etymology. There need not be
any relationship whatsoever, for example, between the Hebrew words
(ALMAH 'young girl', and TA-(ALUMAH, 'mystery', derived both from the
root (LM. Namely, an (ALMAH is not a mystery, TA-(ALUMAH, to the boys
who are dying to reveal her hidden treasures.
There is surely no horizontal relationship whatsoever between KPAR,
'village', and KPIR' 'lion; between GOZAL, 'chick', and GEZEL,
'robery'; between DBA$, 'honey', and DABE$ET, 'hump'; between
CALAXAT, 'dish', and HACLAXA, 'success'; between ARGAZ, 'box', and
ROGEZ, 'anger'; between KESEP, 'silver', money', and KISUPIM,
'longing'; between XACER, 'yard', and XACIR, 'hay'; between NAXAL,
'brook', and NAXALAH, 'heritage'; between BEREK, 'knee', and 'BRAKAH,
'blessing'; between XOM, 'heat' and XOMAH, 'wall'; between ZAKAR,
'male', and ZIKARON, 'remembrence'.
The root NGD essentially means to be tall and massive. Indeed, the
word   NAGID derived from it [see Jeremiah 20:1] means an important
person of elevated status or degree, a Me-KUBAD or NI-KBAD. NAGID, in
my opinion, is not, as claimed by Gesenius, someone who sits in front
or before [NEGED] his subjects [German Vorsitzender].
 From its basic meaning of 'be tall and massive' the root NGD came to
mean 'grow over, loom over, hang over, lean over, push against, press
against, set against, cling to, resist, oppose, confront', and then
in NEGED, 'face at a distance'. The Similar Hebrew word MUL is
essentially ML), 'full'.
The root NGD is immediately related to the root NG$, 'approach, come
close, bump into, come into frontal contact'. Also the roots NGS,
'opress', and NQ$, 'grasp'. Also to the roots GDD, GZZ, G$$.
THE word HIGID, 'said', is essentially HIGI$, HIQI$, 'gushed from the
mouth and impinged upon the ear'. In Isaiah 41:22 we find this play
of words, YAGI$U Ve-YAGIDU, 'let them bring forth and say'.
Some other Hebrew metaphors for the vocal act are:
1. )MR, 'cumulate, aggregate, gather'. Derived from it is the verb )
AMAR, 'said', )OMER and )IMRAH, 'statement, utterance'.   From the
same root Hebrew derives the word )AMIR, 'tree top, assembly of
branches', and the name )EMORIY = )EMOR-HI. Related to it is the the
root (MR, 'to pile up' from which we have the word (AMIR, 'crop,
harvest'. By degrees )MR and (MR are related to GMR, HMR, KMR, ZMR,
YMR, SMR, $MR, CMR, TMR.
2. DBR 'cumulate, aggregate, gather'. It applies to a string of sound
pulses or to an accumulation of corpses, as in Psalm 18:48. DIBRAH is
an aggregation of words, but DOBRAH, 'raft', is an aggregation
[namely a COBRAH] of tree trunks. The root DBR is closely related to
the roots $BR, CBR, TBR.
3. $IR is 'song', while $AR$ERRET is 'chain'.
3. ZEMER is 'tune', while ZMIRAH is 'pruning, trimming'.
4. CARAX is 'scream', while CARIAX is 'turret'.
5. QARA) is a variant of QARA(, 'tear'.
6.$AVA( is a variant of $ABA(, which is a variant of $APA(, 'gush
abundance'.
7, ZA(AQ is a variant of CA(AQ and $A)AG, related to the root SG,
'high'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University