[b-hebrew] Job 22:17

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:21:34 EDT 2007

Harold:

I considered this verse, but didn't list it in my message of July 10.

On 7/24/07, Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> This is for Steve Miller.
>
> Dear Steve,
>
> In Job 22:17 the translations are rendering LMW as "to us":
>
> Job 22:17 They said to God, 'Leave us alone,'
> and 'What can the Almighty do to us?'

This is how I read it. as it fits the parallelism found in Biblical
Hebrew speech.

> But HCSB has a textual note saying that it is following the Syriac and
> LXX. It says that the Hebrew MT reads "him." This seems a distributive
> singular for the initially plural third person participial verb. The
> suffix on MMNW in the middle of the verse is related. LMW does not yield
> first person suffixes, so MMNW has a third singular suffix, and LMW is
> in agreement with it.

MMNW is also first person plural, which fits the context as if this
were a direct quote of the people speaking. And LMW is in agreement
with it.

Other examples of MMNW being first person plural include Genesis 3:22,
26:16 and I expect that a study of the word would find many more.

> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard

I didn't list this verse as I can see how modern people, using modern
forms of speech and understanding, could argue that LMW is third
person plural, contradicting Biblical Hebrew usages. I was and remain
not willing to go into an argument about one verse, especially when
there are other, less ambiguous verses that show the same usage. But
this is one case where I agree with the translations.

Karl W. Randolph.