[b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Wed Jul 25 04:29:49 EDT 2007

  Yes. But my question is how are these related?
  How does the concept of "opposite" relate to the concept of "to tell"?

  _____

  Let us take for preposition NGD the meaning "in front of".
  If you have something in front of you (say a car, a dog or a rose), usually you are seeing it as it really is (though we do not see the intimate nature of things), so that its shape, colour, size and so on are clear for you.
  So a thing that is in front of someone is conspicuous for him (the seer).

  Now, how do we do to make something to be conspicuous, to be clear (to others)?  Just by explaining, declaring, telling others about it...

  Is this explanation enough?  Do you feel some step, some ring of the chain is lacking here?

  Pere

  pporta at oham.net wrote:
I have a question.

Sometimes NGD is translated as "against" or "opposite" or "in front", to
which I can see the relationship between.
But other times it's translated as "tell" or "declare".

I don't see the common link between the idea of "opposite" and "telling".
Can someone please help me understand the relationship between these
ideas.

_________

As a preposition, NGD means "against", "opposite", "in front of"...
But as a verb, NGD means "to be conspicuous". Then the Hiph'il form of verb
NGD, which in its basic form is HGYD (look at Mi 6:8), means "to cause to be
conspicuous" ie "to declare", "to explain", "to tell".

Pere