[b-hebrew] virginity

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Jul 24 23:50:32 EDT 2007

Dear Yigal,

I don't agree with you, that there is any contradiction.  Why do you
think that the fact that the Torah explains two subsequent
circumstances about a betrothed woman precludes that the beginning of
this verse is talking about a woman being accused by her new husband
of adultery, ie; that he is accusing her of sex while betrothed to
him?

About your comments

a.  I don't see where the Torah says that unmarried girls are
necessarily assumed to be virgins, and even if this is true, a
non-virgin before marriage still doesn't get the death penalty.

b.  I also don't see this claim in the text anywhere.  This
particular verse punishes the girl FOR LYING about her virginity, not
because she is not a virgin. What she is "worth" is not described,
nor is it compared to what she would be "worth" if she is a virgin.
The money he has to give is punishment if he is found guilty of
slandering her.

c.  "Forcing" a girl is no big deal when compared to a death penalty,
but it is a big deal in that it obligates the man who raped her, to
treat her with the same respect that he would a wife of his choosing.
It's not only money - it is her honor.

d.  The Torah doesn't have to mention the obvious.  It is obvious
here (verses 13 -21) that this is an adulterous woman, because the
death penalty is involved.  The subsequent cases (after verse 23) are
not obvious until the Torah tells us.

Also, verse 23 does not talk about a man finding a betrothed virgin,
it specifically says "Ba'alat Ba'al" - a MARRIED woman.

As for the man's punishment in verses 28-29, it is not that his
punishment is "only" paying money and marrying the girl, the point is
that he is not subject to the death penalty because she is not
engaged and this was not therefore adultery - more proof that the
death penalty is only in the case of adultery, and that, therefore,
the beginning of this passage which condemns the guilty girl to the
death penalty, could only be describing adultery, between the time
she became engaged til the time of consummation of the marriage which
is when the new husband decides to slander and accuse her - the
starting point of this situation.

To answer your question at the end of your post, I get that the word
"Liznot" describes adultery and not mere promiscuity, because, as the
Torah says, she gets the death penalty BECAUSE she did the znut, and
Ramban explains further why it described adultery and not mere
promiscuity, as I quoted in an earlier post.

Shoshanna

Dear Shoshanna,

Your claim that the Torah here MUST be referring to an betrothed woman and
that the whole thing is about adultery is contradicted by the fact that this
very chapter (Deut. 22, for those who have forgotten) goes on to specify 3
laws that do concern a "na'arah betulah me'orasah" (a betrothed virgin
girl). In verses 23-24 it tells us that if a man "finds and lays" such a
girl in the city, he is executed for adultery and she for not protesting.
Verses 25-27 tell us that if this happened outside the city in the fields,
she is not considered to be at fault, because even if she had protested
nobody would have heard. And verses 28-29 specify that if a man "catches and
lays" with a virgin who is not betrothed, all he has to do is pay her father
and then has to stay married to her forever.

What we learn here is that:

a. Unmarried (even betrothed) girls are assumed to be virgins.

b. Virginity has a price - a value to be paid to the girl's father. A girl
who is not a virgin, while not killed, is "worth" less.

c. "Forcing" a girl is no big deal - if she does not already "belong" to
another man, it's only money. If she does "belong" to another man, it's
adultery, which is punished by death.

d. Most important to our discussion - the Torah, in this very chapter, has a
very specific word for "betrothed". If it did not use it in verses 13-21, it
did not mean it!

BTW - all of the above, about rape being "no big deal", is based on a
literal reading of the passage involved. Not surprisingly, later Judaism
(and I assume Christianity as well) considered this to be highly problematic
and re-interpreted it in various ways. Shoshanna will say that that's what
the Oral Torah meant all along, and Bryant will say that our hermeneutics
have finally advanced enough to understand that the "true" meaning of the
text could not condone rape. I have no problem with either approach and am
NOT endorsing rape, nor forcing rape victims to stay married to their
rapists any more than I'm endorsing stoning adulterers. But please
understand that these interpretations are based on faith more than they are
on a literal reading of the text.

And Shoshanna, where do you get your statement that "The word which you
translate as "whore" is used for an adulteress, not as it is used today".
True that some of the prophets, such as Hosea, use "zonah" as a metaphor for
the unfaithful (adulteress) Israel, but there are plenty of other places in
which "zonah" means just that - a "whore".

Yigal Levin