[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HRH

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 13:31:55 EDT 2007

Dear Joseph,

>  "Here is
> the young woman that is pregnant". "Here is the pregnant young woman". No good?
>  As Kohan said in the classic, "The Wrath of Kohan", your translation would
> be  "far worse". What is your translation here again?
>
> Actually "Behold" & "Look" have a connotation of pysical presence  anyway,
> don't they.

HH: John Oswalt (The Book of Isaiah, NICOT, p.
211, n.25) cites H. Ginsberg, in "Immanuel (Ia.
7:14)," Encyclopedia Judaica VIII: 1294. Ginsberg
argues that HRH must be "she will conceive" (cf.
Judges 13:3-5). Otherwise the following verb would
have to be converted imperfect to convey futurity.

HH: You have not explained how my tranlsation
would be "far worse." My translation could be the
one Oswalt uses in his commentary:

Therefore, the Sovereign, he will give you a sign.
Behold, a maiden shall conceive and bear a son,
and she will call his name Immanuel."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard