[b-hebrew] Dinah raped?

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Jul 23 19:39:55 EDT 2007

I don't even think there is a word in the Torah for morality, and I
don't think it is a concept at all in the Torah.  There is law, there
is obedience and disobedience.

Only later people, who thought that some of the advice in the Torah
was good, picked and chose and called it morality.

What is the word in modern Hebrew?

The closest I can think of is Derech Eretz, but that is not morality.

Shoshanna

Yigal:

"We must be very careful of assuming that the authors of the Bible shared the
same views on "morality" that modern-day Jews and Christians do. This is
especially true for matters of sexual behavior."

The question is, how much of the modern mores are based on Biblical
ones? In other words, how well have people understood the Biblical
ones and translated them into their own? Or how much of the modern
understanding are taken from contemporary mores and eisegeted back
into Hebrew?

Karl W. Randolph.