[b-hebrew] Habakkuk 1:12 - O might God, O Rock

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Jul 23 19:19:47 EDT 2007

Steven,

The word NA-MUT of Xabakuk 1:12 consists of the personal pronoun NA
followed by the act MUT, 'die'. At first sight this NA appears to be
the usual contracted )ANU, 'we', personal pronoun, putting NAMUT in
the recognized qal form of 'we [will, shall] die'. But I tend to
think that this NA is here in reference to God Himself in the nifaal
sense, so that LO NA-MUT Y' is here 'God which is deathless, God
which is everlasting', corresponding to the previous 'from ever
before [MI-QEDEM]'. The rest of the verse, I think, is in reference
to the terrible, war loving, invincible, GOY of verse 6. I would thus
tentatively translate verse 12 as: "It is up and obvious that, God,
you are from ever before, my sacred God, for ever lasting God. You
appointed him to mete out justice, and strong as a mighty rock [V-
ZUR] you made him to spread rebuke".
I know that this reading of mine does not sit well with the
traditional cantillation marks, and the strict, customary Hebrew
grammar, but it restores sense into an otherwise difficult verse, by
means of only a bit of sensible grammatical flexibility.

Isaac Fried, Boston University