[b-hebrew] Dinah raped?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Jul 23 00:31:06 EDT 2007

Very good question, Karl, and probably way too philosophical for this list.
But let's take a little example, which I hope nobody on this list considers
to be contemporary. In the decades leading up to the American Civil War,
people on both sides of the pro and anti-slavery debate, many of whom were
God-fearing Christians and Jews, used and quoted the Bible to support their
views. Now, 150 years later, all (I hope) civilized people consider slavery
to be abhorrent, and to quote the Bible to support it would be considered to
be perverted.

No doubt that human values have evolved and (hopefully) advanced over time.
The Bible has had an immense influence on this evolution, but the Bible has
also constantly been reinterpreted over time in pace with that evolution.
The Bible is a huge collection of works, and every generation "connects" to
those parts in which it finds meaning and comfort. In part, this is what
makes the Bible relevant to so many millions of people, thousands of years
after it was written.

Yigal Levin