[b-hebrew] virginity

Tory Thorpe torythrp at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 20:39:48 EDT 2007

Dear Shoshanna,

I'm in agreement with you that pre-marital sex was per se no capital
offense, illicit sex could be. But if a woman claims -- after the
wedding night -- that her hymen was broken through no fault of her
own before the wedding night but subsequent to the bretrothal, the
husband can dispute her testimony. Bed-linen from the wedding night
wont help her case because of her admission and because the unstained
linen is the husband's evidence against her: "I did not find BTWLYM
in her" (Dt. xxii 14). But then, if no BTWLYM are produced, she is
stoned to death (vv. 20-21), and in this case she is stoned precisely
for having sex before the betrothal. Lying is not a capital offense.
The big question, however, is what kind of BTWLYM could she then
possibly be expected to submit in refutation of the husband's claim?
What are BTWLYM?

Tory Thorpe