[b-hebrew] virgin vs. young woman

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jul 21 23:46:28 EDT 2007

Dear Shoshanna,

I did not mention the difference in the sums, nor the fact that most ketubot
are written in Aramaic (ours was in Hebrew, which is becoming more and more
common), because the two facts are not relevant to the issue. Nor did I have
previously-single mothers in mind. But what you wrote actually strengthens
my argument - that the word "butulah" (or Aramaic "betulta") is used in
those cases in which there is a "possibility" that she is a vigin, even if
everyone knows that she had been living with her husband-to-be for a long
time. The point is, that not every woman who we politely call a betulah
really is one, we all know this, but "look the other way".

Yigal Levin