[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HNH

JoeWallack at aol.com JoeWallack at aol.com
Sat Jul 21 11:46:28 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/18/2007 5:46:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
if at math.bu.edu writes:

Joseph,

1. I agree  with Harold that HINEH does not require physical  presence.

JW:
I agree too.

2. The  Hebrew "definite article" does not require the defined to be
mentioned earlier  in the discourse if he is known otherwise.

JW:
Agreed. The DA can create reasonable grounds all by itself. It's what it
does.

3. Virgin  is a theological code word that has no correspondence in the
Hebrew bible, and  hence the discussion (ALMAH/virgin is vain.

JW:
I have purposely avoided ThAlmah and BetaLouise here as it just distracts
from the Definite Article issue.

IF:
4. Things would look and sound  much better if you replace "definite article"
by "non-arbitrary  article".

JW:
Your point is that arbitrary/random is the more common usage and therefore
should be the standard for definitions?

IF:
5. The fact that the prophet  said HA-(ALMAH [like saying HA-MALKAH] implies
that he was referring to a known  person. The rest is theology.

JW:
While I agree and am interested in your opinion I'm not  that interested in
unsupported assertions and I have Faith that those on the  other side here are
even less interested in unsupported assertions. On the other  hand, I have to
confess that until relatively recently, translation issues with  polemical
context like this one, have traditionally been determined by how many  hold a
certain position and how loudly they do so, as opposed to solely  intellectual
considerations.

Joseph Wallack