[b-hebrew] Habakkuk 1:12 - O might God, O Rock

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Jul 20 19:36:20 EDT 2007

On 21/07/2007 01:12, schmuel wrote:
> Yet many versions read
>     "O Rock"       or
>     "(my) Rock)"  rather than
>     "O Mighty God".
>
> Would anyone be able to give the textual and translational and contextual issues involved.

It seems to me that the Hebrew text is unambiguously W:CW.R (we-tsur)
"and rock". BHS had a proposed emendation to CW.RIY (tsuri) "my rock",
but quotes no evidence for this. But, according to BDB, CW.R is used 33
times in the Hebrew Bible of God, which suggests that it had become more
or less a divine title; see also Deuteronomy 32:4,18. So the versions
which render "Mighty God" are simply giving an interpretive translation.
LXX apparently simply omits this word.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/